Brathay 10in10 Athlete
I am 53 years old and live in Leigh, near Manchester with my wife Yuk-Lam and our two children Abbey (aged 20) and Lucas (aged 17). During the day I run my own family steel business in Wigan with my brother, Paul.
I ran my first marathon on 13th October 1996 in Manchester. I finished the race and vowed never to do it again! But, this didn’t happen and I have continued running marathons ever since. After reaching 100 marathons back in 2013, I planned to run less marathons per year but the reverse seems to have happened. Only nine years later and I have now notched up 392, with a personal goal to get to 500 before I’m 60.
I have completed the Brathay 10in10 challenge a record nine times. My best time was in 2015, averaging 3:31:56 per day.
I am under no illusion how difficult this event is, but I am determined to complete it for a tenth time. I’m blaming Joss Naylor, as he put the idea in my mind a few years ago. This one is for you Joss! I think it is my strong mental attitude that keeps me going during this challenge, hopefully this will help me through it in May.
Once again, I hope to bring my personal brand of positivity, energy and colour (with a splash of pink) back to Brathay Hall over the 10 days. I can’t wait to take on the challenge and support the other members of this year’s team. Since starting running the 10in10 back in 2011, I have raised over £53,000 for Brathay Tust and I hope to add to this total. Brathay Hall is a very special place that touches the hearts of all who come here. Your donations will help many more children and young people be inspired by this wonderful place and to go on to improve their lives and those around them.
Ran marathons in 15 countries.
Ran London Marathon 12 times.
Have run up Scafell Pike, Ben Nevis and Snowdon.
Have completed 392 marathons and 77 half marathons.
Completed 44 marathons in a year - 2015.
I completed the Brathay 10in10 challenge 9 times: 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021and 2022 :)
- 2000: Chicago Marathon (PB 3h 06m)
- 2012: Enigma Quadzilla (4 marathons in 4 days)
- 2014: Edinburgh Marathon Festival - 5K
- 2014: Edinburgh Marathon Festival - 10K
- 2014: Edinburgh Marathon Festival - Half Marathon
- 2014: Edinburgh Marathon Festival - Marathon (....to complete 4 races over 2 days!)
- 2015: Amsterdam Marathon and Half Marathon (....on the same day!)
- 2016: Equinox 24 - completed 100 miles in 24 hours
- 2016: Hell of a Hill 5in5 - 5 marathons in 5 days
- 2017: Lakeland 50
- 2018: Chester Marathon - my 100th marathon!
- 2023: Brathay 10in10 Donate