Brathay Challenges Race Director
I have been involved in the management of the ASICS Windermere Marathon and Brathay 10in10 since they started in 2007. It's inspiring to see hundreds of people take on our challenges over the years, often raising significant funds to support Brathay’s work with some of the UK’s most vulnerable children and young people.
I'm an active runner and member of Kendal Athletics Club. I started competing in junior fell races as a teenager and have memories of receiving a certificate from John Noakes (and Shep!) after my first race – the Ingleborough Junior Fell Race in 1983.
I now enjoy long fell and mountain races in inspiring locations. Favourite races include the Wasdale Fell Race, Isle of Jura Fell Race and Sierre-Zinal. I spent my youth trying (and failing) to catch Joss Naylor in the classic Lakes fell races. I continue to be inspired by the achievements and records of Joss, Billy Bland and Kenny Stuart; and of course Sir Christopher Ball, visionary runner and Founder of the Brathay 10in10.
Having run the Windermere Marathon course a couple of times during 10in10 training weekends, I respect anyone who steps up to attempt this course 10 times over consecutive days. It is a stunningly beautiful run however!
- 1990: Bob Graham Round (19:27)
- 1994: Old County Tops
- 1998: Maligne Skyline Trail (run in a day)
- 1999: Bob Graham Round (mid-winter record)
- 2006: Old County Tops
- 2006: Over the Hill Challenge (40 miles, 8,000ft with Brian Meakin)
- 2017: Three Peaks Race (achieved a 1st Class Award 3:38:48)
- 2017: Matterhorn Ultraks 30k
- 2018: Kendal Winter League - fell race series (1st V50)
- 2018: Three Peaks Race - #MilesForMatt
- 2018: Isle of Jura Fell Race (completed my tenth Jura)
- 2018: Sierre Zinal (completed my sixth SZ)
- 2019: Kendal Winter League - fell race series (1st V50)