Brathay 10in10 Training Adviser & Mentor
I am an IT Support Analyst with Campden BRI. I ran my first marathon in 1981 and like many people vowed never to do it again! However, after being introduced to the early pioneers of the 100 Marathon Club I went on to become the youngest person in the world (at the time) to run 100 official marathons. From there, and realising that I would never be the fastest marathon runner in the world, I had a burning ambition to try and become one of the most successful multi-marathon runners in the world. To date I have run over 750 official marathons with an average finish time of 3hrs 17min.
I ran the first four Brathay 10in10 events (2007–2010) raising several thousands to help vulnerable children and young people. My wife Teresa provided the road support around the course during those first four years. Since then I have been supporting those tackling the 10in10 for the first time, providing training advice.
I am a member of North Cotswold Tri & Run and the 100 Marathon Club. My inspiration is Dr Ron Hill, the first person in the UK to have ever run 100 official marathons and, in his heyday, one of the best distance runners in the world. He's run every single day for the last 50 plus years and is still going.
I released my biography, 'The Man Inside The Machine' in April 2015. I am aiming to achieve a new world record by running 1000 official marathons averaging sub 3hrs 20min – but I’ve still some way to go!
- 1981: Coventry Marathon
- 1990: Youngest person to run 100 official marathons (aged 28)
- 1992: Most official marathons in a 12 month period (total 87)
- 1992: Youngest person to run 200 official marathons (aged 29)
- 2007: Brathay 10in10
- 2008: Brathay 10in10 - fastest 10 marathons in 10 days (35:20)
- 2009: Brathay 10in10 - fastest V45 10 marathons in 10 days (33:16)
- 2010: Brathay 10in10
- 2012: First person in the world to run 500 marathons in sub 3:30
- 2015: Fastest V50 7 marathons in 7 days (23:34)
- 2015: First person in the world to run 600 marathons in sub 3:30
- 2015: First UK athlete to run 300 marathons in sub 3:15
- 500: marathons in the fastest average time (3:12)
- 600: marathons in the fastest average time (3:14)
- 700: marathons in the fastest average time (3:16)